Choosing a wig, usage and care
If you have nice natural hair, you can skip this entire article, though you may still find some interesting info. But generally most of transvestites wear a wig, either because they don't have hair cut they want or they don't have long hair at all. By using a wig you can change the way you look, shift moods and highlight nice features of your face. One of most important factors is the shape of your face, it should reflect the choice of the wig. I will show you different shapes and styles that that go well with given shape. Compare 7 basic face shapes to choose what wig is the right one for you. Attached at the end you will find few do's and don'ts regarding the wig care. Read this article for more wig tips for crossdressers and transvestites.
As its name implies, the Oval Shaped Face is longer than wide, with a jaw that’s narrower than the cheekbones. Because the oval shaped face has no dominant areas and is so proportional, this face looks good with just about any hairstyle, length or texture. You can buy any wig you like.
The Round Shaped Face is characterized by a wide hairline and fullness below the cheekbones. The client may be overweight and the neck may appear short. These faces look very good with a geometric or linear style. Add height, when possible, and long, wispy side areas to make the cheeks look narrow. Comb hair close to the head on the side and at the nape.
The Square Shaped Face is characterized by a wide hairline and jaw. Square shaped faces need height on top and narrowness at the sides. Comb the hair off the forehead to add height to the face. Curly texture and wigs of hair around the face break the wide, straight lines common to the square face.
The Diamond Shaped Face is characterized by a narrow chin and forehead with wide cheekbones. Diamond shaped faces need narrow sides and fullness at the chin. Bobs work very well for this shape. Avoid wearing height on top or volume on the sides. Use some fringe or bang to cover narrow forehead.
The Heart Shaped Face is characterized by a wider forehead and a narrower chin. Bring some hair onto the forehead to disguise its width. Keep hair close to the head at the eyes but make it slightly full around the jaw, and below and in front of the earlobes.
The Pear Shaped Face is characterized by a small or narrow forehead and a rather large pouchy-appearing jaw line. Comb hair to add width from the eye level through the crown of the head. Set and comb hair close to the head on the sides and at the nape.
The Oblong Shaped Face is characterized by a very long and narrow bone structure. The client who has an oblong facial shape often has a long, thin neck. Use a fringe or half-bang across or curls in the crown and nape areas. This helps to create the illusion of an oval.
Source: article by the courtesy Best Wig Outlet
- First, fill a small hand sink or a large-sized bowl with approximately
2 quarts of COOL WATER. NEVER USE HOT WATER! (hot water will remove the pre-styled curl pattern that is built into a synthetic wig or synthetic hairpiece).
- Add approximately 2 ounces of Synthetic Hair Cleanser to the cool water and swish around to mix. Then you are ready to place the hairpiece or wig into the solution.
- Allow to soak for 5 to 10 minutes, and then swish the piece around in the soapy solution for a minute. Note: If your wig has makeup build-up along the front hairline, we recommended you use an old toothbrush and hand soap to remove this.
- After washing, discard the soapy water. Rinse sink and fill up with clean cool water; sometimes you may want to rinse twice. Shake out excess water.
- After washing, simply lay the hairpiece on a towel to air-dry naturally.
- DO NOT BRUSH WIG WHILE WET.
- DO NOT USE A HAIRDRYER ON WIG.
- This kind of heat can damage fiber hair! If you have a wig, it is recommended that you place it on a wire head form so it dries in its natural round head shape. (Air can pass through a wire form. Air cannot pass through a Styrofoam head form.) Both the Wire Stand and the Deodorizing Wig Perch are excellent for this purpose.
- We recommended a special Synthetic Fiber Hair Conditioner: It conveniently sprays onto your wig or hairpiece. This conditioner should be used lightly after each washing as well (for longer hairpieces, use each time your hairpiece is worn). Conditioner build up is good and provides a longer life for synthetic hair, eliminates static electricity (which can also damage fiber) and makes fibers look healthy.
Putting on a wig
- hold the wig on the inner lines and bend it slightly inside-out so the hair doesn't fall inside.
- lean forward slightly
- put it on starting with forehead, make sure hair doesn't get under the wig
- pull to back and hair that got caught under the wig
- straighten up and swing the head to back slightly so hair gets away from your face (as you were bent)
- fix the wig on the temples so it "sits" on the head properly
- fix the wig around the head so it doesn't press you and you can start styling your hair
- comb wigs even when you pull out some hair - this applies mainly for curly wigs. It's better to loose some hair than wearing wisps of hair on your head. Besides uncombed wisps tend to grow and at the end you might have to cut them out. So better comb hair regularly.
- for combing use thin combs or scrubs with plastic fibers (such as mild scrubs for baby hair).
- I use hair finisher spray though some sources say it's not good for synthetic wigs. I use it anyway 'cause it suits my needs, just be careful on eyes when applying it!
- electrified hair gets into place if you run it over with wet hands
- store the wigs best on stands, if you don't have one, store it loose. Under no circumstances store a wig crumpled at the bottom of your cabinet.
- from time to time it is good to do a little maintenance - applies moss to curly wigs. Generally they do that in places they sell them. They will re-style the curls, comb the hair properly and style the lines according to your needs / requirements.
To sum up ..
I hope this article helped you with a choice of a wig for you. If you still have no clue, visit a wig store - the sellers are used to transgender people and can help you well with the choice of a wig. I bought my first two wigs this way and the brown one was very successful, some people even though it natural hair 😀